Standards for Technology in Automotive Retail (STAR) is a nonprofit, dues-paying organization whose members include dealers, manufacturers, business system providers, and automotive related industry organizations. More....
As a member of STAR, you will have the opportunity to help develop voluntary industry information technology (IT) standards, which can improve the operational performance, effectiveness, timeliness and competitiveness of your company and it’s business partners...More...
STAR BOD Architecture Refactoring Initiative
This initiative emerged from the recommendations provided by STAR members during the March 2017 STAR General Session Meeting.
High Level STAR XML BOD Architecture Refactoring Proposal
• Full refactoring and clean-up of STAR XML BODs based on OAGIS 10, branching off into STAR 6.
• For an extended transitional period, in parallel maintain the current STAR 5 branch with extensions and updates
(similar to the transition to STAR 5 in 2006).
• Aim is to secure future relevance of STAR as an industry B2B standard by
• Ensuring alignment with the latest major OAGIS release:
• Improved support for future Mobile/Cloud/REST API/JSON expansions of STAR.
• Compliance with updated UN/CEFACT 3.0 definitions (incl. low level components, type definitions and code lists)
• Cleaning up and harmonizing BODs for more consistent data modeling to make STAR faster to implement and easier to use:
• Consistency in naming and design rules (eg.OAGIS verb usage and language handling)
• Increased reusability of components between BODs, eg.
• naming of nouns (eg.prices in order, shipment and invoice)
• consistent usage of proprietary elements vs. more general structures (name value pairs)
• Removal of ambiguous and/or deprecated content, based on current members usage of existing BODs
• Incentivizing former and new members to engage with STAR.
This presentation describes the background and details of the proposed project.
Questions and Answers
Q: Why do we need to migrate to OAGIS 10, can we just refactor and clean-up the existing global components and BODs?
A: Currently STAR 5 implements OAGIS 9. In order for STAR to align with the latest B2B global standards, the recommendation is to adopt OAGIS 10.
Q: Can you provide examples of latest ISO standards that the current STAR XML architecture does not support?
The existence of an international standard for automotive credit data that supports web services allowed Ford Motor Credit's GDI to provide a single, consistent inter- face across multiple markets. As GDI expands to additional dealer systems and markets, we have a proven, widely accepted message structure to offer our partners.
– Ford Motor Credit Company , Dearborn, Michigan
We have enjoyed having to develop once, and to customize as other members need enhancements. This has provided a good ROI on our Development team, and provides a much shorter timeline to complete applications.!
– PBS Financial Systems , Calgary, AB, Canada
RouteOne has benefited by having a set of professional data architects working to create a standard that we can use in our messaging transactions. Without that, RouteOne, and likely each of our partners, would have to duplicate those resources. The STAR organization has consistently worked very effectively with RouteOne as we continue to rapidly enhance our products to meet the evolving needs of our integrated providers.